Going from Failure to Failure Without Losing your Enthusiasm

Prime Minister Winston Churchill gives the &qu...

Prime Minister Winston Churchill gives the “Victory” sign to crowds in London on Victory in Europe Day. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Many writers, including myself, have our ups and downs in terms of our livelihood and craft.  I’ve found that often our greatest growth happens during times when our efforts may appear to be faltering to everyone including ourselves.

Earlier this year, on the occasion of my birthday, my brother sent a lovely letter to support my path as a writer.

It occurred to me that some of what he wrote to me might apply to many of you as well, so here is an excerpt of a pep talk from my younger brother to me, reframed for you my fellow writers.

Dear fellow writer:

You are capable of great things and I wish you all the success in your endeavors, even if I don’t entirely understand them.

I have been reading a book entitled “First Thing Every Morning, Turn Your Life Around One Day at a Time” to give me ideas and inspiration.  One quote I read reminded me of you and your present work:

“As long as we are persistent in our pursuit of our deepest destiny, we will continue to grow.  We cannot choose the day or time when we will fully bloom.  It happens in its own time.”

– Denis Waitley

Winston Churchill said, “Success is going from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm”.  Ben Franklin said, “If you want to be remembered when you’re dead, write something worth reading or do something worth writing about.”

Writing has always been your greatest gift so use it well.  I know you can write great things and, regardless of the compensation, be entirely fulfilled.  I wish you great fulfillment, great friends, a loving spirit and God’s peaceful assurance that you are on the right path.  Forget much, treasure the moment and forgive freely, not so much for others as for yourself.

We all need someone who supports us when times are challenging, and I appreciate these words of encouragement from my brother.

May you find deep support for your writing and great fulfillment in all your work!

Daily Contemplation:

Do you have anyone in your life who supports your writing? If so, what might they tell you now to keep you encouraged?

Have you ever had to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm?

How do you stay on the “right” path with your writing?

Related articles

23 thoughts on “Going from Failure to Failure Without Losing your Enthusiasm

1. bluebutterfliesandme says:

I love this.
    “As long as we are persistent in our pursuit of our deepest destiny, we will continue to grow. We cannot choose the day or time when we will fully bloom. It happens in its own time.”

– Denis Waitley

You are so lucky to have such a supportive and loving brother.

• Karen Wan says:

That was my favorite quote that he offered, and I’m trying to keep that in mind on my own journey. I am very lucky to be supported as well as I am in my life. May you be as well supported in all that you’re doing!

2. jamieaaron03 says:

I always feel like my writing is all over the place and totally random, but its hard for me to tell, since I wrote it, actually I can never tell if I’m doing a good job no matter what I’m doing, until a little time has passed.

• Karen Wan says:

That’s a very good point, we have to be careful about what we deem a failure. I now see my writing as an evolving process, and the biggest failure would be for me to give up on it. I enjoy your meanderings, keep up the good work!

3. eof737 says:

Every day I come to my blog to write, I embrace the voice that expects me to fail and the reactions that try to confirm it and then I press on… People will always disappoint but God and our inner will won’t… just my two cents and observations of humankind.

• Karen Wan says:

We do have to press on as writers overriding those inner voices that would keep us from expressing ourselves. Great observations, thanks for sharing them!

4. Three Well Beings says:

There is strong encouragement here for writers AND non-writers. So much is about following your path and not letting discouragement creep in to take you away from that path. I know you already know that well, Karen. This is a lovely encouragement for today. Debra

• Karen Wan says:

I agree that it’s tough to stay on our path, no matter if we’re writers or anything else. As always, thanks for your comments Debra! 🙂

5. oncealittlegirl says:

This morning YOU are my support. I am carving out writing time from 6-7:30 AM before I go to a job I should be thankful to have, and wish I didn’t feel the need to have. Writing is what I love.

6. Isaac says:

That is probably the best present any writer can receive. What keeps my enthusiasm level high is being able to do the work, and then let it go. Doing that seems to push me ahead to the next project.

• Karen Wan says:

This was a great present from my brother! Isaac, I also agree that letting go of the work is a great approach for keeping our enthusiasm high. It’s something I’ve learned to do over time and really helps!

Comments are closed.