As summer is coming to a close, my focus on the Enchanted Oasis is about finished. I need to return to some of the writing that I put to the side, partially because I have a book fair that I’ll be attending on September 8th for my book The Seven Foundations of a Resilient Livelihood.
It’s also feels about time that I return to more of a focus on the practical side of writing for this blog as we move into a new season next month.
How’s your writing been going this last season (summer or winter depending on where you live)?
Mine has been prolific in some ways and a dry well for others.
So this week, I want to share with you some quotes that have been attracting me back to my novel writer’s journey.
My first source of writing inspiration comes from Joseph Campbell:
Wherever the poetry of myth is interpreted as biography, history, or science it is killed. The living images become only remote facts of a distant time or sky. Furthermore, it is never difficult to demonstrate that as science and history mythology is absurd. When a civilization begins to interpret its mythology in this way, the life goes out of it, temples becomes museums, and the link between the two perspectives is dissolved.
To bring the images back to life, one has to seek, not interesting applications to modern affairs, but illuminating hints from the inspired past. When these are found, vast areas of half-dead iconography disclose again their permanently human meaning.
This particular passage not only inspires me to look at ancient mythology with a fresh view, it makes me want to be part of creating and reinvigorating the mythology of our time through my writing. For we are creating a mythology by the way we live our lives and the actions we take. It’s good for each of us to question our personal mythology, and not just accept someone else’s mythology unconsciously.
What myths are you creating or supporting through the way you live your life?
Do you have any half-dead myths that need to be enlivened again?
- Sustainable Living & The New Mythology – Interview with Willi Paul of PlanetShifter Magazine and Open Myth Source by Julianne Victoria (openmythsource.com)
- Healing with Enchanted Symbols (writingyourdestiny.com)
- American Exceptionalism and Black Belt Excellence – Both the same myth… (thinklikeablackbelt.org)
- The Hero with a Thousand Faces, by Joseph Campbell (fourthperson.wordpress.com)
- The Hero’s Journey. Joseph Campbell. Trina Hall. Yoga Dallas. Treenuh Yoga. (treenuhyoga.com)
- What is the Enchanted Oasis? (writingyourdestiny.com)
- Your Enchanted Oasis (writingyourdestiny.com)
- Symbols of Enchantment (writingyourdestiny.com)