We are almost a fourth of a way through 2012. Time has been moving quickly hasn’t it?
Late March is a great time of the year to make course corrections. Of course, any time is a good time for course corrections, if you know they are needed. Lama Surya Das puts it this way:
The seed of our future lies in our every moment, our every thought, and our every word, once we understand how every deed creates a reaction and has karmic implications.
In the ultimate analysis, it may be that someday all living things will be gone and even the planet Earth will eventually be dissolved into the sun in a fiery conflagration. But that probably will not be the final cycle of cosmological history. Even though it may be true that everything human will someday be obliterated that does not matter in the here and now. What does matter is how we treat our family, our friends, our colleagues, and our children. Do we hug our children and smile at them or do we abuse them, growl and ignore them? In the pure and pristine present moment, it is clear that this is what is most important, and it would be insane to think otherwise. Spiritual wisdom, if nothing else, must be rooted in the highest and most elemental form of sanity.
With these ideas in mind, here are a few questions for your 2012 personal check-in:
- What seeds have you been planting for the future so far in 2012?
- How do you like the flowers that have been blossoming from your past efforts?
- Have you been doing what matters the most for your life and writing this year?
- What is the most sane thing that you have been doing this year?
- Are there any course corrections you need to make?